Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Center Funds Cut as Session Ends

Hospitals asked to begin cancer center planning.

Both chambers approved the final version of an economic incentives bill, which lacked funds for a new cancer treatment center at UNC-Chapel Hill and a biopharmaceutical research facility at N.C. State University.

The economic incentives bill, which was nearly killed in a conference committee, was the last major item on the legislature's agenda before its adjournment early Friday.

"This has been a long and difficult bill for many of us," said Rep. Bill Owens, D-Pasquotank. "She was dead a couple times. We had to give her mouth to mouth and bring her back to life."

A week ago, N.C. Senate leaders inserted a provision in the economic incentives bill providing $130 million in funding for the cancer center. The provision was later scaled down to $6 million in startup funding before finally being eliminated Thursday in conference committee.

Rep. David Redwine, D-Brunswick, said many legislators opposed providing the $6 million for planning because doing so would have forced Gov. Mike Easley to trim additional money from other state agencies.

"The governor would have taken the money from somewhere, and we didn't want him to take it from education or health and human services," said Redwine, chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.

The economic incentives bill does include language authorizing planning and development of the UNC-CH cancer treatment center and a biopharmaceutical research facility.

"I'm delighted we at least have the reference to the biopharmaceutical center and the cancer center," said Sen. Howard Lee, D-Orange. "At least we have our foot in the door.

"Sometimes you have to take baby steps. This is a baby step."

Redwine said that although the economic incentives legislation does not include funding for the two centers, it is an appropriate initial step for righting the state economy.

He added that the original Senate proposals for the two facilities should be considered further. "They're very good ideas, and we ought to explore them."

But officials from both universities and the hospital must present a clear plan and firm up the projects' directions before lawmakers can give them proper consideration, he said.

Redwine said he is confident that officials will be able to do the necessary research and present legislators with a viable proposal next session. Once that is accomplished, the funding will be approved with ease, he said. "It will be one of the first items to go next year," Redwine said. "That thing will sail through here like a knife through hot butter."

But Lee said he thinks legislation funding the cancer treatment center might run into roadblocks next session. He said there likely still will be contention over the proposed revenue source for the cancer treatment center -- tobacco settlement money.

Legislators should have finalized funding for the center this year, he said. "I think we should have moved forward aggressively. It's not as if this idea just popped up at the end."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.