Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Courage, Leadership Bring Award To Rape Crisis Center

Center won award from N.C. nonprofit center

Heather, a UNC student whose last name is being withheld for confidentiality purposes, serves as a companion volunteer at the OCRCC.

"As a volunteer, I am able to provide victims with an objective opinion on dealing with their assault," said Heather, who is one of 104 volunteers who undergo 63 hours of training at the center.

The OCRCC is a United Way Agency that has been serving the county since 1974. The nonprofit volunteer agency's primary focus is to provide necessary assistance to victims of sexual violence. In the 2001-02 fiscal year, the agency served 364 clients.

The center also provides the community with information about rape, child sexual abuse, other forms of sexual violence and their prevention.

As a testament to its work in the community, the N.C. Center for Nonprofits chose the OCRCC as its 2002 recipient for the Nonprofit Sector Stewards Award in September.

"Our board of directors chose the Orange County Rape Crisis Center for this award because of its courage to stand firm for its mission and values," said Jane Kendall, president of the center.

One of the OCRCC's most successful community programs is instituted in every Orange County public school.

The program, beginning with students as young as kindergarten-aged, educates children on how to prevent being sexually assaulted, as well as what to do if they are being assaulted.

In the fall, the public school program also brings in UNC students by training N.C. Teaching Fellows how to relate to the school children. In the spring, the fellows return to the public school classroom to teach the children.

Though the OCRCC is not UNC-based, UNC students are involved with the OCRCC in a variety of capacities.

"We rely heavily on UNC's students for volunteers," said Margaret Barrett, executive director of the OCRCC.

Students also have the opportunity to be involved with APPLES, a UNC service-learning program where students complete their academic work in the classroom while volunteering off campus for five hours a week.

In addition to volunteering, there are internships available to UNC students.

"Currently, we have interns from UNC's law school, the School of Social Work and the School of Public Health," Barrett said.

She said community and University involvement are vital to the OCRCC so it can provide optimal services to its users.

Barrett said the organization has two types of support for survivors of sexual violence.

"We have a 24-hour crisis intervention hotline, 1-866-WE-LISTEN, that is open to any community member for information and/or support," she said. "We also provide support groups and advising to victim's family and friends."

The OCRCC has Chapel Hill and Hillsborough offices, which are open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

In the spring, the OCRCC will be offering a support group for survivors of incest, child sex abuse and rape in collaboration with the Carolina Women's Center.

Kendall said that through all its involvement in the community and the University, the OCRCC is well-deserving of its award.

"By going the extra mile to secure a state law to protect the privacy of victims of sexual violence, its board and staff demonstrated the kind of leadership and accountability that is the hallmark of a good nonprofit organization," Kendall said.

And through volunteers like Heather, the OCRCC helps the community one individual at a time.

"Through my time here at the Orange County Rape Crisis Center, I have become more aware of the issue of sexual violence and how it can affect people's lives," Heather said.

"I see how this organization can help people through such a difficult period."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.