Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Crime Stoppers Offers Reward For Information

University police Maj. Jeff McCracken said the crime is still under investigation and would not comment Thursday on any possible leads in the case.

Chapel Hill police officials said they are working with University police to investigate a possible connection between that crime and a breaking and entering and larceny reported in Granville Towers East that happened the same night.

An 18-year-old UNC student was robbed at gunpoint at 6:51 p.m Sept. 19 in Avery.

The robber took a laptop computer, cellular phone, gold chain and $4, police reports state.

A little earlier, a Granville resident reportedly was robbed of his laptop and cell phone while out of his room for 15 minutes. The Granville victim said the suspect knocked on his door at 6:10 p.m. and said he was in the wrong room. The victim left his room around 6:30 p.m. and did not lock his door. When he returned at 6:45 p.m., he said, his belongings were gone.

McCracken said some changes have been made to campus security in response to the robbery. "We have increased patrols around the residence halls at night."

Composite sketches of the two suspects have circulated throughout campus, and photographs taken from surveillance videotapes at Granville have been posted on the Internet.

These pictures, as well as other information, can be seen at http://www.dps.unc.edu/dps/breakingnews/emergency.asp.

People are asked to call either UNC police at 962-8100 or Crime Stoppers at 942-7515 with any information about the robbery. All calls are confidential, and no callers will be asked to reveal themselves or appear in court.