Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Employee Forum Celebrates 10th Anniversary

The Employee Forum was created in 1992 by Chancellor Emeritus Paul Hardin to give University staff a voice in governance, said Kay Hovious, who served as the first Employee Forum chairwoman.

Since then, it has succeeded in earning its constituents recognition in the University community.

"When people speak to the University now they recognize students, faculty and staff," Hovious said.

"That's just one example of how far we've come."

Festivities began at 9 a.m. with a catered buffet breakfast of pastries, fruit and juice as well as time for socializing among friends and colleagues.

In attendance at the celebration were former and current forum delegates and alternates.

Dianne Hill, a member of the forum's Awards and Recognition Committee, said she was "very pleased with the turnout and absolutely tickled" that both Chancellor James Moeser and Hardin attended.

"We've come a long way in 10 years," said Tommy Griffin, Employee Forum chairman and a 30-year employee of the University.

"We're very proud of what we're doing and the changes we have seen are for the benefit of both staff and students."

Eventually the group moved into a meeting room for speeches by Moeser, Hardin and Hovious to commemorate the day.

In his speech, Moeser commended the forum for its advances during the past 10 years, jokingly citing his recommendation for the chancellor position three years ago as its most notable achievement.

Hardin then took the podium to the sound of gracious applause for the founder.

"It's amazing what you've done," he said, addressing the group.

"Your diligence in the workplace and continual expectation to have your voice heard is admirable."

Hovious expressed her pride in the legislative arm of the University's staff and called on the group to look toward the future as well.

"The forum has established the staff presence and voice that its founders hoped for," she said. "It has become a model for staff participation in other schools.

"But now it must continue to articulate the needs of the staff, because what's good for the staff is inevitably good for the University," she added.

While most speakers reflected positively on the past achievements, Griffin remained focused on the pressing issues still facing the forum and urged all UNC members to collaborate.

"There are a lot of issues in the University community today, like tuition, parking and transit," Griffin said.

"But if we all work together -- faculty, staff, students, everybody -- we can get it straightened out."