Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Leadership Conference Shows True Colors

Students learn new leadership roles

Sophomore Taylor Stone says he is green.

Students' true colors shined through Saturday afternoon during a workshop at the first-ever Students Reaching Towards Change conference.

By analyzing their habits, students revealed their rainbow of personalities and work patterns.

As orange, Hunt said she is "fun and creative."

Stone, who is the chairman of student government's public service committee, said he is green because he likes to see the big picture.

But Stone said, "Everybody has a little bit of every color in them."

The True Colors workshop was just one of many during the two-day STRETCH leadership conference designed to to help students lead, organize and better serve their community.

About 70 students attended the kick-off event Friday evening, and more than 80 participated in a series of workshops Saturday.

Terri Houston, a University administrator and leadership consultant from the Office of Minority Affairs, spoke at the kickoff, urging students to find their purpose.

"Every single one of you in this room has this quality -- you just have to find it," Houston said. "You are pushing your way, but ain't nothing moving.

"You've got to think outside the box -- that is why you are here."

Staff, students, faculty and community experts led workshops on topics ranging from conflict resolution to the basics of organizing and event planning. The event was sponsored by the Carolina Center for Public Service in partnership with other campus organizations.

"There was a great diversity of students, and many members of the campus and community were present," said Lynn Blanchard, director of the Carolina Center for Public Service.

Both STRETCH organizers and participants thought the entire event was successful. "After all of the planning, it was really nice to see this come together," said senior Kathleen Wirth, STRETCH program organizer. "The group of people who attended are some of the most passionate and energetic people on campus."

Participant and Senior Class President Paymon Rouhanifard found the workshops helpful.

"I thoroughly enjoyed the conference," he said. "It was neat to interact with people from the community and to meet community leaders."

Stone enjoyed the opportunity to connect with other student leaders.

"It was great to meet other students who really care about the community," Stone said.

The event inspired others to become more involved on campus.

"There is so much more to campus organizations than I ever thought," Hunt said. "Now, I want to jump in and start."