Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

NRC to Distribute Iodide Pills

Distribution of the pills, provided by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, has been organized by state and local health departments. Parts of Wake, Chatham, Harnett and Lee counties are affected by the new program.

The NRC sent out letters last December to all states with nuclear power plants offering them complimentary potassium iodide pills, said Roger Hannah, public affairs officer for the NRC Atlanta branch.

He said states were given ultimate control over whether they would participate and the method of distribution they would implement.

"All the NRC did was pay for and provide the tablets to the state," said Hannah.

NRC funding is only providing tablets for people living within the emergency planning zone, Hannah said. "The data shows that people living outside the 10-mile radius are less likely to be exposed."

Paula Williams, program manager of communicable diseases for Wake County, said distributing pills to people within a 10-mile radius is the "standard situation set up by the federal government regarding the zone."

Potassium iodide is a nonprescription drug that helps protect the thyroid gland from radioactive exposure, Williams said. "It fills the thyroid with stable iodide so it can't absorb the radioactive iodide."

Although Hannah said they are effective in terms of preventing iodide absorption, he said the pills do not protect from other substances that might be released.

Williams said evacuating the area still is the most important response to any nuclear plant emergency. "This is not a substitute for evacuation," she said.

Because potassium iodide can be obtained over the counter, individuals living outside the emergency planning zone can purchase the pills from local pharmacies or online, said Johnny James, a radiation emergency coordinator with the N.C. Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

James said it is unnecessary to buy the pills because the risk is not great. "I think it's a waste of money for people to purchase it."

Kerr Drug in University Mall began carrying potassium iodide Sept. 10 after its existence was brought to its attention by a customer, said pharmacy manager Chris Bowen.

He said the anticipated high demand stimulated by fear of possible terrorist attacks after Sept. 11, 2001, was never fulfilled. "Not even one pack (has been sold)," Bowen said.

He said the store will take action to respond to the lack of demand. "We will have a few packs available. ... We won't carry a large supply."

Other pharmacies, such as Kroger Co. and Eckerd Drugs in Apex, neither sell the pills nor have any plans to do so.

"No one has requested it yet," said Eckerd Drugs pharmacist Katel Harvey. "It's not even in the ordering book."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.