Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Police Roundup

3 Men Kidnap, Rape Woman in Chapel Hill

Chapel Hill police responded to a kidnapping and forcible rape that occurred at 8 a.m. Friday. The victim was held against her will and assaulted by three men at her former roommate's apartment, reports state.

Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins said the victim was threatened with a gun, raped by two assailants and forced to perform oral sex on the third assailant. The victim is not a UNC student, Cousins said, but she could not reveal her identity. Reports state that the case is still under investigation.

Carrboro Bank Robbed By Gun-Wielding Man

The RBC Centura bank at 300 W. Weaver St. in Carrboro was robbed Friday, the fourth time such a crime has taken place at the bank in six years.

The Carrboro Police Department reported that a black man wearing a dark sweat suit walked into the bank at 9:38 a.m. The man was reported to be of medium build and about 5 feet 9 inches tall.

Lieutenant Jim Phillips of the Carrboro police said the robber covered his face and held a gun. "He covered his face with some sort of dark cloth and was carrying a small, dark-finished, semi-automatic handgun," Phillips said.

The robber forced all seven of the workers present to lay down on the floor and instructed one of the four tellers to help him with his robbery. Phillips said the man sped away in a car he parked a few blocks away. "Witnesses saw him running down to Oak Street," he said. "Seconds later they saw the vehicle driving away quickly."

No suspects have been named yet, but Phillips said the investigation is progressing well. "We have no suspects by name, but we're getting good leads that we're following up."

City

Sunday, Oct. 6

-