Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Protesters Rally Against War

Demonstration in response to Congress' decision on Iraq action

The busy intersection of Glenwood Avenue and Marriott Drive was flooded with anti-war signs, instruments and the sound of car horns responding to signs with slogans like "Honk if you agree" and "Not in our name."

The rally was organized in part to protest the U.S. Congress' approval last week of a resolution giving President Bush permission to attack Iraq if its leader does not allow U.N. weapons inspectors into the country.

The protest comes in the wake of a similar one at the Chapel Hill office of Rep. David Price, D-N.C., which resulted in three people being arrested for trespassing after refusing to leave Price's office.

Some participants at the rally Sunday stressed that getting their message out is important because it shows people who are afraid to get involved that they are not alone in their views.

"Many people are in agreement but afraid to speak out," said Susan O' Neill, a member of the local community and protester. "We're here to transfer courage to those in cars and passing by to call politicians."

Representatives at the rally included members of UNC groups Students United for a Responsible Global Environment and the Campaign to End the Cycle of Violence, as well as people from local religious organizations and the community at large.

Participants said they hope the rally at Crabtree will increase awareness and encourage more people to get involved with the anti-war campaign.

"We hope to build a movement and spread a message that we should not go to war," said Danny De Vries, a senior anthropology major at UNC.

Michael Reichert, a junior majoring in biology at the University, also said he wanted the rally to invoke actions against Bush's policy.

"(We) are trying to let people know there is a strong feeling against a war with Iraq," he said.

But not everyone agreed with the protesters' message.

While drivers seemed to approve through shouts of encouragement and honks of their car horns, some mall customers said they were shocked at the group.

"I disagree wholeheartedly with (the protesters). ... They need to find better things to protest for, like the needy," said Michelle Christopher, a Long Island, N.Y., resident shopping at the mall.

Others said they think it is important that all viewpoints be expressed equally.

"It is important for (the protesters) to spread their opinion and get (their message) out," said Jacque Powns III, who worked at the Dell store in the mall.

The protesters said that despite some disapproval, they were satisfied with the response to the rally.

SURGE member Cameron Hartofelis said, "We had a few thumbs down by people passing by, but we have had a good response."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.