Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Sculptures Bring Creativity to the Outdoors

As part of the 15th annual Sculpture in the Garden exhibit, these creations -- along with nearly 70 other works of art -- are adding a new dash of creativity to the great outdoors.

Kathy Buck, curator of the show, came up with the idea 15 years ago when she was a sculpture student at UNC.

"I started it because there were very few places to show outdoor artwork in the area," she explained.

In its first year, the exhibit featured only 20 pieces, but the well-attended reception last Sunday proved that it has grown into a larger community event.

Artists, garden staff and others simply enjoying the early fall weather gathered in the afternoon to take in the art, as well as find out this year's award winners.

Juror Mike Cindric, who has taught sculpture at UNC in the past, described the challenges of selecting the top pieces, particularly as the seasons begin to change.

"The garden is not a gallery, it's an ever-changing backdrop," he said. "The evolving nature of the garden forced us to see the work with a changing lens."

Best in Show went to Jeffrey Hurr of Garner for his giant steel grasshopper, "Menace Hopper." Although he created the piece prior to visiting the gardens, he described the importance of the natural world in his work.

"(Menace Hopper) is one of a series of grand-scale bugs," he said. "It was inspired by nature and the mechanics of insect movement."

Animal life was a popular theme among the sculptures, but more abstract compositions also lurked among the trees. Whatever the subject, the atmosphere of the gardens benefited from the unique combination of human creativity and natural beauty.

Although the N.C. Botanical Gardens are located just below UNC's south campus, Buck said few students come to visit -- mostly because they don't know it's there.

"Once they discover it, they come down here," she said. "(The gardens are) a great place for students to come with a book and enjoy the outdoors."

In addition to the flowers and art, the area is surrounded by the Piedmont Nature Trails, which are open for hiking from dawn until dusk year round.

Whether with homework or hiking boots, the gardens are an attractive place to spend a sunny afternoon. Artwork featured in the exhibit can be seen until Nov. 22.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.