Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Special Session Irks Republican Party

Redistricting dispute keeps session going

Republicans have accused Democrats of keeping the session open to have the option to redraw legislative districts before new legislators take their seats in January, possibly shifting control to the Republicans.

"There's no question they have a hidden agenda that's not so hidden," said Senate Minority Leader Patrick Ballantine, R-New Hanover.

By not closing the special redistricting session, Democrats would not have to seek Gov. Mike Easley's approval to continue business -- including redistricting -- before the opening of the 2003 session.

Rep. Sam Ellis, R-Wake, questioned the continuance of the special session, stating that it was unnecessary because districts were set by the state Supreme Court months ago. "(The continuance) was more trickery," said Ellis, adding that the meeting is no more than a "shadow session."

Legislative leaders redrew the district lines in 2001, which they must do every 10 years, and Republicans -- claiming the districts were illegal under the N.C. Constitution -- took Democrats to court over the new boundaries.

Superior Court Judge Knox Jenkins redrew the lines in May for the 2002 election but ruled that the 2003 legislature had to redraw the lines once session begins in January.

Tony Rand, D-Cumberland, N.C. Senate majority leader, said Democrats decided to continue a special redistricting session started in April under N.C. Attorney General Roy Cooper's advice.

House Speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg, said Democrats have a case pending with the N.C. Supreme Court over the district lines and that Cooper advised them to stay in session until the legal matter is resolved.

Bill Gilkeson, an analyst at the research division of the N.C. General Assembly, said that even if Democrats were able to redraw lines in special session, Republicans would likely take the plans to court.

Ellis, who has repeatedly proposed an amendment to end the special session, said he thinks Democrats are running a scam. He said Democratic leaders had announced they were going to end the special session Friday morning but that they failed to do so and that they didn't mention Cooper's advice to extend the session.

N.C. House Minority Leader Leo Daughtry, R-Johnston, also said the session is an attempt to bend the rules. "(Democrats) have tried every way possible to violate our constitution over redistricting," he said.

But Sen. Howard Lee, D-Orange, said the complaints have no factual basis. "I think the Republicans are seeing shadows in the corner," he said. "They played games with us so they think everyone else is playing games with them."

Rep. Ronnie Sutton, D-Robeson, also said Republicans' allegations are unfounded. "(Republicans) see a conspiracy behind every tree," he said. "That's the nature of the Republican Party."

Rep. Verla Insko, D-Orange, defended the Democratic Party, saying members are justified in continuing the special session. "One has to question the current map drawn by the judge, who was seen talking with Republicans during the process," she said.

Republicans have also called the special session a scam by pointing out that last Monday only two senators -- Sens. Eric Reeves, D-Wake, and Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange -- were in attendance.

But Chris Evans, legal counsel for Rand, said there was nothing questionable about it. At least two members must attend session every three days for it to remain open, and Reeves and Kinnaird came because they were closest to the legislative building in Raleigh, Evans said.

Kinnaird said the charges are to be expected but that right now there is only speculation as to what is going on.

"I don't think there is any secrecy," she said. "If I were a Republican, I would certainly feel that way."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.