Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Students Encouraged to Voice Their Opinions This Week About Possible U.S. Military Involvement in Iraq

This week, Congress likely will vote as to whether or not George Bush is allowed to send troops to Iraq, therefore starting a new war against Saddam Hussein and the country. Have you told Congress how you feel yet? Do they know what the emotions and thoughts of the generation that will be most affected by this war are?

The Wesley Foundation (United Methodist Campus Ministry) is sponsoring a letter-writing campaign in the Pit on Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. We will have the writing paper ready, as well as the fax numbers for you to fax your letter so that the members of Congress will get the letters in enough time. We request that you handwrite these letters, as it is more influential on the members of Congress as compared to a form letter and just signing it.

We are the generation that will be shipped off to war and affected at home as well. Congress is OK with voting without hearing what we have to say because we are the voices that are lost and underrepresented in all aspects of politics. In addition to writing the letters, there will be a discussion held at the Wesley Foundation (located on 214 Pittsboro St., across the Carolina Inn) at 5 p.m. on Wednesday. We will discuss reasons why we support and oppose the war in Iraq.

This will allow not only our opinions to be voiced to those in Congress, but also to our peers surrounding us, helping us develop a better understanding of each other and the dynamics that go into our opinion. Please come by and write your opinion to show Congress that we do have a voice and we want it to be heard!

Sara Elizabeth Pugh
Senior
English