Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

U.S. Must Take Action Against Iraq to Prevent Possible Future Crisis

I am absolutely baffled by critics of the Bush administration who insist that we not invade Iraq and chance making someone in the Middle East angry.

It is indeed the case that the same people who staunchly disagree with military action in an attempt to overthrow Hussein are the same people who spoke out against the government last year, after Sept. 11, 2001. These are the same people who cried that the government knew of possible attacks on the U.S. yet failed to take any proper action.

Now we have a chance to take action, to prevent what could be another catastrophic event for our nation.

The administration has revealed evidence that Iraq is trying to develop nuclear weapons, along with chemical and biological warfare devices. Hussein is certainly the last man on Earth to trust with such deadly forces.

So this begs the question, how many more Americans have to die, on our own soil, before these protesters realize the necessity of military action to thwart more attacks on us?

The fact that the same people who decried the government after Sept. 11, 2001, are also now urging no confrontation with Iraq makes not the least bit of sense. This is certainly no easy decision. However, we have seen Saddam Hussein's capabilities before, and nothing should be unexpected of him.

If you feel that the government failed to act on warnings a year ago, you should be completely behind action against Iraq now because of the signs and information that we have been presented with.

Greg Whitely
Junior
Political Science and Journalism