Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC Center Could Get Startup Funding

Provision requires Easley to allot $6M.

Amy Fulk, spokeswoman for Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight, D-Dare, said the Senate amended the existing economic incentives bill to include a provision calling for Easley to locate $6 million to officially start the center's planning process.

The new provision comes just a day after the N.C. Senate determined that a bill providing the full $130 million lacked the support to pass both legislative chambers.

Once allocated by the governor, the funds would be used by the UNC-system Board of Governors to make general plans about location, infrastructure and utilities, said Senate Majority Leader Tony Rand, D-Cumberland.

The $6 million also would be used in part to fund planning for a $45 million biopharmaceutical research facility at N.C. State University.

The economic incentives legislation that includes the $6 million provision goes to a final vote in the Senate today. If it passes, it must be approved by the House, where the legislation's fate is less certain.

The House Finance Committee voted down the bill providing full funding for the center Monday.

But many senators believe the economic incentives legislation -- including the section about the treatment center -- should go through.

"This has always been the Senate's position, and we're doing everything we can do make it a reality," Rand said.

But Danny Lineberry, spokesman for House Speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg, said he is not sure whether the House will pass the amended legislation today.

Some legislators -- primarily House members -- said funding the $130 million project despite the state's precarious budget situation would send a mixed message to voters. Others said the legislation's introduction late in the session might be detrimental to its passage.

"The issue is the fact that it's October and it's too late in the session," Lineberry said.

The Senate passed an adjournment resolution Tuesday. If the house approves it, the N.C. General Assembly will end its prolonged session at 4 p.m. today.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.