Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC Wary of New Pill Used for Birth Control

Doctors express concern over side effects.

But UNC-Chapel Hill health centers are wary of embracing the drug right away.

The oral contraceptive Yasmin is marketed as a way to prevent pregnancy. Advertisements, however, are quick to point out that the pill might have additional benefits, including reduction in bloating and possible weight loss.

Because of concerns about the pill's side effects, UNC-CH officials have decided not to offer the contraceptive through Student Health Service.

Although the pill is not marketed as a diet drug, a study conducted by Berlex Laboratories, a division of the German pharmaceutical company that manufactures Yasmin, conducted studies on the ability of the pill to aid in weight loss.

They found that a sample of 300 women lost an average of 2 pounds over the course of six months while on the pill, though they gained the weight back within a year or two.

Traditional oral contraceptives use estrogen and progestin to "trick" the female body into believing it's pregnant, and therefore the body ceases to release eggs. The most common progestin used is testosterone, which can lead to bloating and weight gain.

But Yasmin uses a different progestin, one chemically similar to a diuretic.

But as the hope of weight loss -- or at least of no gain -- draws women to Yasmin, officials are raising questions about the risks.

"Because the long-term effects of Yasmin are not yet determined, it seems appropriate to choose another contraceptive," said Scott Butler, coordinator of human sexuality programs at UNC-CH.

Many universities, N.C. State University and Duke University included, carry Yasmin for students.

Recently, however, N.C. State has opened discussions about removing the pill from its pharmacy because of concerns about the dangers from side effects.

The April 2002 report by the British Medical Journal stated that more than 40 cases of certain blood clots have been reported in women taking Yasmin and that two have died from complications.

The blood clots, which develop in large veins, can cause severe pain and block the normal blood flow back to the heart. But many women are not convinced that the dangers are real enough to forgo at least a trial.

"There's a risk for any pill," said sophomore Stefanie Daidone. "I take birth control, and I would definitely try it out."

Though blood clotting is listed as a risk for any oral contraceptive, health officials are not sure that enough research has been done on Yasmin to decide if it is safe.

But though Berlex says Yasmin has been prescribed to more than a million women in Europe, there are still questions to be answered.

"A lot of women are under the impression that it decreases weight compared to other birth control pills," Butler said. "We don't have enough evidence to support that."