Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

University Community Invited to Hear Speech From Israeli Official

Israel is a very complicated place, with many different voices. The great thing is that all these voices can be heard. Yep, that's right. Israel is a democracy, the only democracy in the Middle East.

Democracies are not perfect. Hardly so. But a key component of democracies is an open media and exposure to criticism. Democracies are constantly restructuring and re-evaluating themselves, rocking between the dialectic struggle amid idealized equality and the pragmatic problems that face them daily.

There are forces such as terrorism that may undermine the shared democratic values of Israel and the United States. In this precarious time for Israel and the United States, it is important to be as educated as possible on the issues that could jeopardize democracy and our essential freedoms.

Caravan for Democracy (sponsored by the Jewish National Fund, MediaWatch International and Hamagshimim) is the vehicle for driving constructive dialogue on these topics. In the spirit of this, Caravan and N.C. Hillel present Mark Regev, chief spokesman for the Embassy of Israel, in a lecture Wednesday.

The lecture will take place in 111 Carroll Hall at 7 p.m., and for registration purposes please arrive by 6:30 p.m.

Otherwise, please register online at http://www.caravanfordemocracy.org or

e-mail caravan@jnf.org. I hope you will all come out for this important discussion!

Melissa Anderson
Senior
International Studies