Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Arrest Made in Laptop Thefts

The suspect turned himself in to police

UNC freshman Andrew Marcum, 18, was charged with two counts of felony larceny and one count of attempted felony larceny.

The larcenies occurred at Morehead Laboratories on Oct. 1 and the Undergraduate Library on Oct. 3.

The attempted larceny took place in Davis Library on Nov. 8, but in this case, the victim confronted Marcum, causing him to leave the laptop and flee the scene. The Davis victim provided details for a composite sketch that matched surveillance pictures taken in the Undergrad on Oct. 3.

Students who knew Marcum identified him as the suspect to University police after seeing the sketch accompanying an article in The Daily Tar Heel on Wednesday, said Capt. Mark McIntyre.

"The biggest thing that helped us was (the DTH) running the picture," he said.

The students gave specific details that described Marcum's exact appearance and clothing and said they knew where he lived. Officers confronted Marcum at his residence, 314 Craige North Residence Hall, Wednesday afternoon.

Marcum then consented, with little resistance, to a search of his room by police officers, McIntyre said.

The officers found two laptops that matched those stolen from Morehead Labs and the Undergrad. They also retrieved clothing that matched the picture taken in the Undergrad, he said.

An arrest was not made at that time because the officers were scheduled to work the men's basketball exhibition game against Team Nike, forcing them to leave Marcum's residence.

Instead, the officers struck a deal with Marcum requiring him to turn himself in later that evening.

About 11 p.m., Marcum appeared at the University police office and was arrested. Police released him that night on a written promise to appear in court.

His first appearance was Thursday morning in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough. Another court date is set for Jan. 23.

Marcum did not return phone calls for this story Thursday.

Police reports stated that the Oct. 3 and Nov. 8 crimes could be linked to a similar crime in Lenoir Hall on Oct. 22. The laptops retrieved from Marcum's room did not connect him to the Lenoir larceny, but they led police to solve the Oct. 1 theft.

McIntyre said police will continue with a follow-up investigation to ensure that Marcum is not connected to any other robberies.

University police now will refer the case to the Dean of Students Office. University police also will appear at the Honor Court hearing to give their report, but McIntyre said that will not happen for a couple of months.