Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Crosswalk To Be Put At Site of Accident

Man was killed crossing Franklin St.

James Elijah Ellis, 77, was struck and killed by a motorist as he was crossing Franklin Street near where it intersects Church Street.

Mike Stout, assistant division traffic engineer for NCDOT, said the pedestrian accident was not the reason for the crosswalk recommendation by the Chapel Hill Town Council.

"It's been a place where a signal had been requested before, and it's just a coincidence the accident happened at the same time," Stout said.

He said that the NCDOT studied the area in 2000 but did not think a crosswalk was needed. THe NCDOT blocked the recommendation in May 2000.

"At the time, we didn't think it was necessary for a crosswalk," Stout said.

But council member Jim Ward said that because the accident occurred, NCDOT officials now think the intersection warrants a signaled crosswalk.

"I think it's a result of this accident that something is getting done about the crosswalk," Ward said.

Stout said the crosswalk will be designed after the NCDOT Board of Transportation approves the project in December. He said the $150,000 project, which officials have compared to the Franklin and Columbia street crossing, will include a traffic light and a crosswalk with a countdown pedestrian signal that will be controlled by a push-button.

George Small, director of engineering for Chapel Hill, said the crosswalk could be completed next year. "If the state can find funding ... it would be designed this spring and probably installed by fall of 2003," Small said.

If the funds are not met, Small said, the crosswalk would be designed in late 2003 and installed in 2004.

Ward said the initial proposal stemmed from the need for a safe crosswalk for pedestrians in an area where pedestrians and motorists are likely to have an accident.

"There are two blocks where there are no controlled crosswalks and a lot of motorist movement on Franklin Street," Ward said, referring to the area west of the Columbia Street and Franklin Street intersection to the traffic light at the intersection of Franklin and Mallette streets.

"I think it will make that area safer for crossing, and it will encourage people to use a controlled crosswalk," Ward said.

He said it was time the NCDOT realized how dangerous these two blocks were without assistance to pedestrians.

"It's very unfortunate that something like that had to happen for the NCDOT to see the concern," Ward said.

Stout said crosswalks can provide a false security to pedestrians because studies have shown that pedestrians cross when traffic appears to be clear, often not obeying signals.

"Pedestrians must watch for motorists, and motorists must watch for pedestrians," Stout said.

"We're trying to do what is safest for motorists and pedestrians, if only people will cross at the signaled walks."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.