Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Election Success Could Aid Bush's Agenda

The national elections were a success for the party, with the GOP extending its majority in the House and gaining the majority in the Senate.

Republicans picked up seven of 13 U.S. congressional districts in North Carolina.

Ferrel Guillory, director of UNC's Program on Southern Politics, Media and Public Life, said that with both houses of the U.S. Congress controlled by Republicans, President Bush will be able to push more of his initiatives, such as the creation of a Department of Homeland Security, through Congress. "It really strengthens President Bush, at least for a while," he said. "It doesn't give him a huge mandate, but it definitely strengthens his position."

John Samples, director of the Cato Institute's Center for Representative Government, stated in a press release that although Bush's high approval ratings helped the Republican party, they were not the determining factor in the election.

"The Republican victories were the culmination of an anti-government mood among the American people, a mood that has been growing for several years," the statement said.

John Dinan, political science professor at Wake Forest University, said the GOP majorities seem to confirm Bush's previous decisions. "He's likely to claim he's been given a vote of confidence ... but the challenge is to be more balanced in his response," he said.

Dinan said Bush and the Republican Party have been strengthened in their position but not to an unlimited extent. "There's room to believe there will be change, but not as much as people think."

Samples stated that Republican victories in the midterm elections have huge implications for the presidential election in 2004. National media outlets reported Wednesday that House Minority Leader Richard Gephardt, D-Mo., will not seek again the House minority leader position he has held since 1995.

"This historic defeat will free up (Senate Majority Leader) Tom Daschle and Richard Gephardt to run ... for the presidency," Samples said. "This may mean a more crowded, longer and potentially more divisive battle for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2004."

Republicans also made significant gains in state elections. Republicans picked up at least seven seats in the N.C. Senate and could claim the majority in the House. Three House elections have yet to be determined, and it is still uncertain which party will have the majority.

"There's no doubt that Republicans got stronger in the state," Guillory said.

Dinan said the state's Senate races illustrated Republicans' gains. "The Republicans narrowed the gap in the state Senate, which will have consequences for governing in North Carolina," he said.

Dinan said the Republicans' gain in the General Assembly could make it difficult for the governor to pass initiatives such as a state lottery.

"There's no doubt that the governor felt more confident before the elections," he said. "Now he will be scrutinizing the newly elected legislators and measuring them."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.