Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

In Brief

Ticket Distribution for 3 Games Starts Today

Bracelets for three basketball games -- Dec. 19 against University of Vermont, Jan. 8 against Davidson College and Feb. 18 against N.C. Agricultural & Technical State University -- are available this week outside of Kenan Stadium.

Students can come between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. today and Thursday to Gate 5 at Kenan Stadium to pick up bracelets for this week's ticket distribution. They must arrive at 6:45 a.m. Saturday at the Smith Center for line check. Each student can receive up to two tickets with as many valid UNC ONE Cards.

"We have between 4,000 and 6,000 tickets a game reserved for students this time, and we hope to give them all out," said Kris Willett, Carolina Athletic Association president.

Tickets for Monday's season opener against Pennsylvania State University in the Preseason National Invitation Tournament can be bought at the Smith Center for $4.

CAA members also will be handing out vouchers Saturday to students, which will allow them to preorder tickets for the second round of the NIT.

Olde Campus Lower Quad Wins Water Wars

Water Wars officials announced October's winner today, naming Olde Campus Lower Quad as the month's prime conservationists. Students in Olde Campus Lower Quad reduced water use in the area by more than 25 percent, earning their community a $200 prize.

The prize money can be used at the community's discretion. "We plan to put the money toward a community celebration," said Rhonda Foxx, a resident assistant in Aycock Residence Hall. "But nothing's set in stone yet."

Ellen Jones, area director at Hinton James North Residence Hall, said that the competition will continue through the end of the semester and that an area winner will be announced every month.