Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Julian Tells of Journey Into Fashion

Designer gave lucky design to basketball team.

The diamond pattern running down the sides of the Tar Heel basketball team's uniforms led the players to another victory as UNC alumnus and fashion designer Julian cheered from the stands.

Before the Wednesday night game, Julian explained to a crowd of about 50 people in the Hanes Art Center that, contrary to popular belief, his legend of luck associated with the argyle did not originate in Scotland. It also isn't based on the famous four corners play created by former UNC men's basketball head coach Dean Smith.

Rather, Julian won the first of his five Coty Awards, the Academy Awards of the fashion world, with the design of a 14-color argyle sweater.

So when Smith asked Julian to design basketball uniforms, Julian added his own good luck charm to the design.

Born and raised in Chapel Hill, Julian said he felt honored to outfit the basketball team. "Having Dean call and asking me to do uniforms for the Tar Heels was like having God call and asking me to do halos for archangels," he said.

At the lecture sponsored by the Carolina Union Activities Board as part of Fashion Week, Julian explained how his journey into the fashion world began by learning about style, fashion and business at his parents' store, Julian's College Shop, at 140 East Franklin St., now called Julian's.

As a child, he played with swatch books instead of building blocks. By the time Julian was 16, he was the manager of the store. At 19, Julian owned a different store, called Alexander's Ambitions.

After graduating with an English degree, Julian ventured to New York City with goals of winning the Coty Award before his 30th birthday.

"I am lucky I can communicate, because these hands can't draw," he said. Julian said he sees the designs in his mind and relies on other people to make his dreams reality.

Julian has won five Coty Awards and was inducted into the Coty Hall of Fame. One of these awards recognized the textiles he designed that are now featured in the Smithsonian Museum's permanent collection. Julian was the first U.S. designer to create his own fabrics.

Before turning 40, Julian received two Cutty Sark Menswear Achievement Awards. Julian is also known for introducing color to menswear. His line "Colours" debuted in 1981.

The designer sees the world in more colors than most observers. When choosing a color for his studio, Julian selected from 300 shades of white.

In 1983, Julian introduced his first women's line. "It is the biggest kick to me to see someone wearing something of mine with a smile on their faces," he said. "If you surround yourself with things that make you feel at home in the world, you will wake up with a smile on your face."