Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Students Sound Off on Labor, Multinational Companies

The discussion forum, one of the many events of Fashion Week, was hosted by Students United for a Responsible Global Environment.

Although students held differing views on how to improve workers' rights in factories around the world, everyone agreed that multinational corporations need to be more responsible.

SURGE showed the documentary "Something to Hide," which dramatically addresses issues such as hazardous working conditions, low wages and worker abuse.

Most of the discussion, however, focused on the debate over free trade.

Some students argued that free trade is helpful in involving smaller countries in the global economy.

Senior Katie Cichucki, a member of SURGE, acknowledged this position but countered it with her own view.

"There are arguments for free trade," she said. "It is true the economy does improve, but my response is (workers) need to be treated better and multinationals need to be more responsible."

Junior Scott O'Day, another member of SURGE, took a more extreme stance, suggesting that there is no reason for multinationals to exist.

"What were these people doing before (multinationals)?" he said. "I'm not saying we should go back to an agrarian society, but I am suggesting that multinationals don't have to exist."

SURGE representatives said a reasonable goal is the institution of international labor standards.

They added that socially conscious consumers should avoid companies with records of using sweatshop labor, such as Nike, Gap, Disney, Adidas, Kathie Lee, Ralph Lauren, Liz Claiborne and Wal-Mart.

O'Day said after the discussion forum that although he didn't agree with all that was said, he was pleased with the dialogue.

He acknowledged that there is room for more political action by UNC students.

"A lot of students involved in (Students for Economic Justice) graduated, leaving somewhat of a hole."

SEJ was designed as a student group to be active in ensuring UNC products were manufactured in a socially responsible manner.

O'Day added that all of the students involved in the three-day sit-in at South Building in April 1999 over UNC's contract with Nike have graduated.

But he said there has been a lot done by students in addressing larger economic issues such as the World Bank and the IMF.

"We are looking to make corporations accountable through education and action," O'Day said.

Upcoming events endorsed by SURGE include the National Day of Action People's Campaign for Justice at a local Wal-Mart on Thursday.

Fashion Week will continue with a fashion documentary titled "Unzipped," at 7 p.m. Friday in the Toy Lounge of Dey Hall.