Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Changes at DTH on Horizon, But Newsroom Devotion Persists

In addition to this regular evolution, sometime in the middle of next semester, the paper will switch to a narrower layout that has become the standard collegiate and commercial format. Each page will be slightly more than 1 inch slimmer but still will contain six columns of text.

Both The (Durham) Herald-Sun and The (Raleigh) News & Observer already have rolled out this new look. Implemented to combat the rising price of newsprint, the narrower format is widely called more reader-friendly. Those who think so, however, did not grow up folding papers like accordions to read them on constricted subways and commuter trains. In that context, wider is indeed better.

The paper's design editors, Beth Buchholz and Tiffany Pease, are leading a redesign of the DTH to accompany the narrower page size. Different fonts and a revised front-page format will be part of the paper's new face.

None of these changes is likely to please critics of the DTH, who say that the hiring process ensures incubation of longstanding attitudes and that layout is the least of the paper's problems. Managing Editor Alex Kaplun, who leads the paper's community relation efforts, says, "It's been a quiet semester regarding campus outcry toward the DTH."

After seven semesters at the paper, Kaplun probably doesn't see this semester's accusations of incompetence, political bias and hostility toward various campus communities as standing out.

Newspapers often draw deserved criticism, but they face the unique challenge of serving an audience with a much broader ideological range than most other media outlets.

The number of Americans who consider President Bush among the world's vilest humans probably equals the number who view former President Clinton as Satan. These groups can -- and do -- access magazines, radio stations and Internet news sites that casually or overtly cater to their points of view. To their constant annoyance, however, they must often read the same newspaper.

Some readers, however, praise The Daily Tar Heel. Assistant Professor Chris Roush, who joined the faculty of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication this year, calls the DTH "one of the finest college papers in the country." Roush, who served as editor of The Auburn Plainsman in 1986-87, says the DTH's coverage of university and town affairs sets it apart from most student papers. "I can get everything I want in the DTH," he says. This breadth of coverage also alienates some student readers, who often don't see the relevance to campus life of staff salary negotiations or disputes over town regulations.

The explosion of up-to-the-minute news options has lead commentators to proclaim the looming obsolescence of printed newspapers. And daily paper readership has been declining for decades. Students keep signing up to work for the DTH, however, and seeking leadership positions at the paper. Which presents a final question: Why do dozens of students spend much of their college career in a rank corner of the Student Union? The paper's editors seem to spend eight to 10 hours a day Sunday through Friday in the DTH newsroom or otherwise working on the paper.

"It's more like 12 to 16 hours," says University Editor Daniel Thigpen.

What sort of college experience is this?

"If you're not loving this, you'll quit," says Assistant University Editor Meredith Nicholson. "God knows no one is doing it for the money."

DTH editors are paid a small monthly salary, which may brace them for their small annual salary as reporters. "We prepare them well!" says DTH General Manager Janet Gallagher-Cassel.

DTH "lifer" Lizzie Breyer, currently the special projects editor, says the process and a passion for the paper suck some people in. "We do it because of the people there," she says, "and the sense of accomplishment that comes with working on a paper so good."

Several staffers mention the importance of DTH friendships and describe the paper as a support system. "It's like the cheapest and most dysfunctional Greek house," Breyer says. "I don't know what my college experience would have been without it." Maybe sleeping, slacking, chilling out? "I honestly don't know what I'd do with all that free time," she responds.

Others admit to being worn down by the relentlessness of the daily commitment, of which there is no backing out. "It takes a toll on you," says Graphics Editor Cobi Edelson, who is stepping down this spring.

"You've got to leave before it kills your passion." Assistant State & National Editor Jennifer Samuels says: "All it takes is your soul."

Despite a crumbling job market and the pressure to put out a paper five days a week, the DTH newsroom is an optimistic place. Retired New York Times columnist Russell Baker has characterized newer journalists as "solemn young sobersides nursing a glass of watered white wine after a day toiling over computer databases in a smoke-free, noise-free newsroom." Baker, who won two Pulitzer Prizes and numerous other journalism accolades, apparently hasn't visited The Daily Tar Heel recently.

The devotion of the DTH's leaders is admirable, even from the vantage point of a devout Dookie.

Michael Flynn's tenure as ombudsman concludes at the end of this semester. Flynn can be reached at mlflynn@email.unc.edu.