Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Exam Week P2P Route Rejected by Task Force

Reverse P2P route was considered, failed

The Safety and Security Committee rejected Monday a proposed special exam-time route for the Point-2-Point Express proposed by a task force formed to evaluate the P2P.

The proposed plan would have created a reverse P2P route that would have gone from South Campus down Stadium Drive, then onto South Road and around the academic buildings, said Colin Scott, who sits on the task force. Scott worked with Tim Saunders of the Department of Public Safety on the plan.

The bus would have run from 8 p.m. to midnight beginning Thursday and running through the 12 days of exams. The program would have cost $2,640.

Scott said the task force members hoped to receive funds released after the SAFE Escort program was denied funding for the spring semester.

The $32,000 per-semester budget for SAFE Escort, a program that transports students from libraries to residence halls via golf carts at night, was cut last month.

The proposal was rejected Monday after the route was outlined for the committee. "They thought it would overlap too much, wouldn't be worth the student government investment," Scott said.

"It was never finalized. They had discussed it, but it wasn't made official," said Student Body Vice President Aaron Hiller. "We didn't have the resources for this. It was a cost-benefit issue -- now is not the time for it."

The task force will consider whether the special P2P route will run during the finals in the spring semester. "We're looking at getting something together as fast as possible, as soon as classes resume," Scott said.

He said the task force probably would change the route before approving it. "It is tough to tell at this point," Scott said. "We'd like to see the route service sorority houses off campus."

"I have to stress that we're still working on a plan," Scott added.