Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Chief Asks for More Firefighters

With town budget negotiations just around the corner, the Chapel Hill Town Council will examine the adequacy of the fire and police departments when they begin deliberations this spring.

Town officials approved the Chapel Hill Fire Department's request for a new truck Monday. But Fire Chief Dan Jones said personnel is a larger concern.

"Equipment-wise, we're in the best shape since I've worked here, and that's since 1990," Jones said.

His main concern has been the training methods of the department, which was one stipulation in the budget request he sent to the town in December 2002.

Jones' proposal asked for a full-time training officer, as well as 18 more firefighters.

"The number one issue is training," he said. The chief added that he especially wants to improve coordination and documentation in the training process.

It remains to be seen if the town can arrange to meet these demands given what is likely to be another tight budget year, Jones said.

He would not speculate on how the budget might play out this spring, but he said, "It is my understanding that it is still going to be tight."

Resident Ralph Abrahams witnessed the extinguishing of a fire firsthand last year, and he said the department should have sent more firefighters to combat the fire, which engulfed a car and a house.

"Only three arrived on the first truck," he said. "I was told the optimal number of fighters per truck is five."

Abrahams said he investigated the matter and found that Chapel Hill does not measure up to other places in terms of the ratio of firefighters to residents.

"Rocky Mount puts us to shame," he said. "And I don't think our numbers took the University into account."

Police department officials said it is too early to comment on any requests they might have for the council before budget talks begin.

Last year, the Chapel Hill Police Department asked the town for a 2.1 percent increase in funding because of a high jump in crime during the previous year. But the town refused the department's request because of poor economic conditions and a tight budget.

Council member Jim Ward said public safety and health are high priorities for the town government. "I can't think of anything being more basic than that," he said.

Ward also said he would not have reservations about taking funds from other programs and allocating them toward the fire department.

"I, for one, would be willing to work real hard to come up with the funds to meet their needs," he said. "This is something that should be very seriously considered."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.