Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Court Case Anniversary Brings Protest, Support

The 30th anniversary of the famous U.S. Supreme Court case Roe v. Wade, which legalized abortions and sparked long-lasting controversy, will be marked today with events held by activists on both sides of the abortion issue.

Anti-abortion advocates have several events planned for the anniversary today. The March for Life will begin at noon in front of the Washington Monument and will end at the Supreme Court building. Organizers expect a crowd of 100,000 to 200,000 and have invited celebrities such as actress Jennifer O'Neill to speak.

Outdoor anti-abortion events will continue for the next few days, and those opposing abortion also will meet with congressmen to express their views.

Pro-abortion advocates will be celebrating today's anniversary with events of their own. A picket line will form in front of the Supreme Court at 12:30 p.m. as participants show support for abortion rights. Other similar events will occur throughout the next few days in Washington, D.C.

Locally, the Durham-area Planned Parenthood will hold a commemorative breakfast from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Speakers will include N.C. Secretary of State Elaine Marshall; state Reps. Joe Hackney, D-Orange, and Paul Miller, D-Durham; and state Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange.

To show support for abortion rights, an online rally will be held today at http://www.saveroe.com.

The landmark case that will be the center of many of today's events first was brought to national attention in 1970 when a single mother, given the protective name Jane Roe, challenged the Texas law that allowed abortions only for the purpose of saving the mother's life.

On Jan. 22, 1973, the Supreme Court ruled 7-2 that the 14th Amendment, which ensures the right to privacy, extends to a woman's right to have an abortion.