Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No Progress Made on Tract Cleanup

University still not sure of source of funding

Despite lingering health concerns of Chapel Hill leaders and residents, University officials have yet to set a timetable or secure funding for cleaning up the Horace Williams tract.

Former philosophy Professor Horace Williams bequeathed the 900-acre property to UNC, which used a section as a landfill for UNC Hospitals and the Department of Chemistry to dispose of hazardous waste.

The tract, located off Estes Drive, is where UNC plans to construct Carolina North, its satellite research campus.

Town officials and residents are concerned about the potential hazards the site poses and say the University needs to move quickly to formulate a timetable for cleaning the waste it dumped there 30 years ago. Recent development and other factors have threatened the area with contaminants leaching through the soil.

In August 2002, the Chapel Hill Town Council asked UNC to establish a timeline for a speedy cleanup. But since then, no substantial progress has been made. University officials said last week that they intend to take action as soon as they can secure the necessary funds. The cleaning bill could be as high as $20 million.

"Money is a difficult issue right now," said Peter Reinhardt, UNC director of environment, health and safety. "There are a lot of other obligations."

Reinhardt said his staff is taking certain preliminary actions. "My staff is researching it so we understand what the requirements are and how we're going to proceed."

Kathleen Kearns, a neighbor to the tract, said she is concerned about health risks to residents of the surrounding area. Kearns said she hopes UNC finds the funds and cleans the property before undertaking any sort of construction on it.

"It is crucial that (the cleaning) be dealt with right at the beginning of the project," she said.

While Kearns said she understands the University's funding problems, she said officials could find the funds if they were as concerned about the situation as the residents are.

"They could find the money if they decided it was a priority," she said. "To neighbors of the tract, it is certainly a priority."

Town Council member Jim Ward echoed Kearns' concern about the dangerous material. "The issue is only going to get worse with the deeper penetration of leaking agents," he said.

But Reinhardt said the latest tests showed no contamination was found outside UNC property. "I don't believe there is any reason for residents to be concerned," he said.

Reinhardt said he believes the University has the cleaning "fairly high on the list of priorities."

"It is a matter now of finding a funding mechanism," Reinhardt said.

Of those questioned, officials from both parties agreed that there was no harm done to the University's relationship with the town.

Ward said the University has done a good job of keeping the town aware of status of the project, and Reinhardt said, "We want to be a good citizen to the town of Chapel Hill."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.