Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Campus to expand low-income program

Almost two months after inaugurating its first class of 225 students, the Carolina Covenant is set to expand its requirements and to make the University even more accessible to the state's most impoverished students.

Chancellor James Moeser announced during his State of the University address Wednesday that the expanded program will allow in-state students from families earning at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level to graduate without debt. In return, the students will work 10 to 12 hours each week at a federal work-study job on campus.

"These changes send an even stronger message about accessibility and the traditional commitment to opportunity in Chapel Hill for qualified students, regardless of their ability to pay," he said.

The change will benefit those who come from a family of four that earns less than $37,000 per year or a one-child, single-parent household making less than $24,000. The program previously had aided families at or below 150 percent of the poverty level, or earning $28,000 and $18,000, respectively.

The expansion will allow an additional 120 students to attend UNC, officials said.

Shirley Ort, director of scholarships and student aid, said the expansion is not so much an indication of the program's success but of administrators' faith in the future success of the program.

"We wouldn't be doing this today if we didn't have a track record through University policy that this is achievable," she said.

The Covenant has received almost $2.7 million in private donations, Moeser announced in his address.

But much of the funding for the expansion was provided through the N.C. General Assembly. The state's need-based grant program awarded $16 million in financial aid to the UNC-system, Ort said.

Moeser preceded the announcement with information from a study of poverty in North Carolina that found that about 14 percent of Southerners are poor and that North Carolina's median income is $5,000 below the national average.

"North Carolina needs our help," he said. "We have a great record of accomplishment, but we can and should do more."

Moeser's Carolina Connects initiative, an outreach program for which he travels the state campaigning for the University, partially spurred the move, said Jerry Lucido, vice provost for enrollment management and director of admissions.

"That visible demonstration of their quality ... has really inspired the chancellor," he said.

Moeser lauded the Covenant for its mission and touted the fact that other national universities including Harvard University and the Universities of Virginia and Maryland have instituted similar programs.

"We hope our leadership last year in establishing the Carolina Covenant, and our increased commitment today, will challenge other universities to make similar investments to ensure affordability and access for deserving students."