Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Effort hypes local spending

Local businesses will soon see $38,000 floating around town in the form of gift certificates issued by the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce.

A local company recently purchased $38,000 in the Chamber's gift certificate program. Called CertifiChecks, the certificates are accepted at any local business that is a Chamber of Commerce member. The program's goal is to encourage local spending.

CertifiChecks are available from the chamber's Web site in denominations of $5, $10, $25 and $50.

Change left over from the certificates is given in cash, making them operate like traveler's checks instead of credit.

"The benefit to the community is that money generated in the local economy is spent in the local economy," said Aaron Nelson, executive director of the Chamber of Commerce.

Nelson said the advantage of the program to both consumers and merchants is its simplicity. Consumers can purchase a single gift certificate for a multitude of uses. The retailers can then deposit the certificates like regular checks. "It's a great way for parents to send money to students or for businesses to reward employees," he said.

The chamber has 930 member organizations, including retailers, restaurants, department stores and small businesses.

Nelson wouldn't name the company that purchased the large amount of CertifiChecks, but he said its contribution is more than 5 times the amount of gift certificates that circulated last year.

Last year, businesses received an estimated $6,000 in CertifiChecks, Nelson said.

"Keeping local money in the local economy is a laudable goal," said Nelson. "The entire community benefits when the money generated locally is reinvested there."

"The program helps encourage business with local merchants,' said Dana McMahan, owner of The Laughing Turtle, a home accessories store on East Franklin Street.

"For consumers, there is the convenience element, being able to spend the certificates at any of the chamber's member stores," she said. "They get better customer service and direct contact with local merchants."

Charles House, owner of University Florist on East Franklin Street, touted the certificates' ease of use. "The certificates are very easy to utilize as far as merchants are concerned."

The chamber plans to promote CertifiChecks through newspaper and radio advertisements. Participating businesses will receive window decals and sample certificates to display to customers and passers-by.

Nelson said that the chamber would love to work with the University to offer CertifiChecks to students but that no plans have been made yet.

He said anyone interested in purchasing CertifiChecks can do so from the chamber's Web site at http://www.carolinachamber.org.