Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Faculty aim to maintain class debate

Several members of the University community have expressed concern that recent controversies on campus have hindered the spirit of academic freedom.

Departments throughout campus now are looking to new methods to educate teachers about promoting healthy classroom debate.

"A lot of people are concerned that we're losing a sense of learning in the classroom," said Judith Wegner, chairwoman of the faculty. "For the University, the focus should be on education and learning and challenging the idea."

Two events related to controversial issues will be hosted in November by the Academy of Distinguished Teaching Scholars, the Faculty Council and the Center for Teaching and Learning.

Ed Neal, director of faculty development at the center, said he hopes to see a number of instructors participate in programs this year to prepare them for issues that might arise.

"If you look at the nature of teaching at the University and the necessity of dealing with various controversial issues, it's important that we focus on it from time to time," Neal said.

During the first session Nov. 11, a panel of experienced instructors will share their approaches to teaching controversial topics. The second event, on Nov. 18, will be a workshop for instructors focusing on techniques for handling "hot moments" in the classroom.

"The Faculty Council and the academy are very interested in making sure that teaching is done effectively," Neal said.

The Department of English also is holding workshops to educate faculty on how to handle controversial topics in class. The department faced much scrutiny after an e-mail sent by an instructor in the department instigated a federal investigation by the Office of Civil Rights in the Department of Education.

The OCR report, released last week, found that the UNC instructor discriminated against her student but that the University handled the situation appropriately.

"We are holding a workshop for faculty and graduate students to try and practice appropriate responses," said James Thompson, chairman of the English department. "We've incorporated some of these issues in the training for new teachers."

The Department of Political Science also is concerned with promoting an environment that allows students to feel comfortable speaking out in class, said Jonathan Hartlyn, chairman of the department. Though the department has not made any formal changes, members will discuss the issue to determine if action is necessary.

The Chancellor's Task Force on Diversity is working on an assessment that will explore the concerns of students, faculty and staff in relation to issues of race, gender, class, sexuality, culture, religion and region. "It will be an opportunity for students, faculty and staff to bring these kinds of issues forward," said Cookie Newsom, director of diversity education and research at the Office for Minority Affairs.

Newsom said that continuing to review the culture of debate at UNC will ensure academic freedom on campus.

"I hope what it does is make everybody think more about diverse viewpoints."