Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Initiative breeds UNC entrepreneurs

Stan Eskridge knows a marketable idea when he sees one.

The local businessman, who takes part in a major entrepreneurial initiative at UNC, has helped University graduates make their daydreams a reality.

Now Eskridge and people like him are helping others at UNC achieve their goals.

Students and faculty looking to put either their products or their research on the market can learn entrepreneurial skills through a series of seminars called Launching the Company that starts this October.

During the program, which will meet weekly until Spring Break, participants can take part in lectures, workshops and labs.

About half a decade ago, Eskridge helped graduates of the series, a part of the Carolina Entrepreneurial Initiative, found Hemocellular Therapeutics Inc.

The company is working to launch its first product, a hemostatic therapeutic. "It helps stop uncontrollable bleeding," Eskridge said. "It is a huge medical need."

"I couldn't be a bigger supporter of the program," he added. "They are doing a great job of teaching researchers how to market their products."

The program is divided into two parts. The fall semester focuses on feasibility analysis; the spring semester concentrates on launching a business.

During the fall, participants will test their products with customers, evaluate competition and determine whether or not the proposed idea will produce a profit.

Ted Zoller, associate dean of business and finance in the School of Government and instructor for the launch phase of the program, said that by the end of the term, participants should have the tools to start a company.

The program includes developing a full business plan and pitching it to an outside panel in the Carolina Challenge competition.

"We have had a great success rate," Zoller said.

Randy Myer, entrepreneur and professor at the Kenan-Flagler Business School, said that when the program began four years ago, the University realized that it had budding entrepreneurs on campus.

"We're just enabling students and professors to fulfill their dreams," Myer said.

The application process is now open for this year's program, said Jeff Reid, executive director of the Center for Entrepreneurial Studies. "We are looking for people who are truly interested and have an idea or concept that shows a high probability of success," Reid said. "The process of starting a new venture is almost always difficult. We want to give them the most help that we can."

All undergraduate and graduate students and faculty interested in applying for the entrepreneurial venture program should contact instructors Randy Myers at randy_myer@unc.edu and Ted Zoller at zoller@unc.edu.