Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Low enrollment a blessing, curse

Though officials aren't exactly sure why enrollment growth has slowed this year for Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, they say the budgetary effects of this decrease are manageable.

The district grew by only 68 students for the 2004-05 school year - leaving it short of its goal of 10,933 students by 212, according to the system's Back to School report set to be released by Friday.

The low enrollment could force the district to give back as much as $433,000 in state funding if the district does not meet its goal by the second month of school, said assistant superintendent Steve Scroggs.

But Superintendent Neil Pedersen said he is confident the system will compensate for the money that will be given back.

"On the one hand, that's a lot of money for us," Pedersen said. "But on the other hand, it's only part of our funding."

School officials have considered cutting back on supplies, utilities and various maintenance positions, Pedersen said.

The district receives 49 percent of its budget from the state, Scroggs said. The remaining funds come from local, federal and other sources.

The slowed growth rate also translates into relief for some of the district's overcrowded schools.

"We've seen some situations that have already improved," Scroggs said, referring to overcrowding at Scroggs Elementary and Phillips Middle schools.

Though the number of students is fewer than expected, Scroggs said each of the system's 15 schools has lost only about 14 new students.

Still, district officials are scratching their heads thinking about what has caused this year's decline.

During the 2003-04 school year, enrollment increased by almost 300 students. Three years before that, enrollment grew by more than 500 students, according to past Back to School reports.

Scroggs said he thinks the rising costs of housing are to blame for the slowed growth. "I think Chapel Hill has priced itself out of the housing market," he said.

But some officials are hesitant to speculate about such reasons.

"I don't think there's any immediate explanation," said Pedersen. "It's either a continuation of a trend or something unusual."

But whatever the reason for low enrollment, Scroggs said, the system won't experience any shortfall.

"I think it's an effort," Scroggs "But I think it's an effort we can manage."