Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Marshals recruit for senior service projects

With a festive banner and an original song to back it up, UNC's senior class marshals gathered in Polk Place on Wednesday to proclaim their mission of community service.

Each day through Friday, service committee members and senior class marshals will gather in Polk Place to promote class unity through service projects.

"(These projects are) a good way for seniors to stay connected to the UNC community," said Becca Frucht, senior class vice president. "You don't have to be part of a club to commit to the project."

The remaining events this week will include a Habitat for Humanity project and a voter registration drive, said Service Committee Chairwoman Amber Alford.

She added that the committee will focus on both short- and long-term projects. Opportunities include the Special Olympics, a literacy project, Clean Up Carolina day and food drives.

Senior Class President Jovian Irvin emphasized the importance of community involvement.

"It is a duty, responsibility and privilege for anyone to help someone else, and we are more connected to people when we give part of ourselves to help others," she said.

Irvin said she will fulfill part of her campaign platform with a program that battles illiteracy. By teaming up with the Campus Y's Helping Youth by Providing Enrichment program, UNC students will help children improve their reading skills.

With recruitment for the projects under way, several students expressed interest.

Senior Amy Funderburk said she is looking for a way to become more involved this year and thinks the service week is a good way to learn about different programs.

Senior Tristan Tausendschoen said he is interested in the service project because it will provide him with a hands-on experience while increasing his possibility of being accepted to the Peace Corps.

The service committee will continue its efforts throughout the spring semester with programs such as the Martin Luther King Day of Service, Nutrition Day and blood drives in January and April.

The committee also is planning to help with Service North Carolina, a statewide effort sponsored by the UNC-system Association of Student Governments.