Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

National group notes local police program

The Chapel Hill Police Department has gained national recognition for pioneering a community watch program that aims to reduce crime among local businesses.

The Business Alert Network, a crime prevention program that involves the cooperation of the police department and area businesses, has been featured in the National Crime Prevention Council's 2004-05 calendar.

The calendar, available with NCPC's crime prevention kit, is a 12-month calendar featuring a different crime prevention method each month. Chapel Hill's BAN program is the May feature.

BAN, which has been in effect for the last five years, is designed much like a residential community watch program. Officer Danny Lloyd said there are more than 1,000 businesses registered in the program.

Business owners in the program receive information about crimes when they occur and prevention methods they can take to secure their own businesses, said Art Englebardt, director of the Office of Senior Services for the police department.

Business owners also can take advantage of training opportunities to learn how to reduce losses from crimes that include robbery, larceny, fraud, shoplifting, counterfeiting and internal theft.

The program also aims to increase awareness of criminal laws. Officers can conduct security surveys to suggest strategies for improving the safety and security of businesses.

Englebardt said police coordinate in-store robbery simulations, conduct shoplifting seminars and disseminate information to help workers prevent vehicle break-ins.

He said the program has been very effective, and other police departments have started their own programs based on BAN.

But BAN might not help prevent all crimes, such as panhandling and loitering - a concern many business owners and patrons have expressed. "That's not what it's about" said Sgt. Leo Vereen of the CHPD.

Loitering has been a problem in the summer for business, said Jeremy DeWitt, a part-owner of Avalon, a nightclub at 306 W. Franklin St. He said loitering is a problem that both business owners and police face.

But Lloyd said business networking is a great advantage for business owners wanting to learn ways to secure their stores.

Since a rash of several break-ins occurred over the last few months, he said several businesses have requested to be part of the program or have asked police to perform a security survey in their store.

Police urge businesses interested in becoming a member of BAN to contact the Community Services Unit of the CHPD at 932-2929.