Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Report seeks fix for street safety

Walking and bicycling along Airport Road becomes difficult as noise and traffic increase, and town officials say they are working to resolve the problem using results from a study released Monday.

Among the suggestions in the report are creating larger trail networks, increasing pedestrian access by narrowing lanes and making vehicles slow down.

There were 484 vehicle crashes, eight pedestrian crashes and 27 bicycle wrecks on the road between 1998 and 2002 - a particularly alarming number considering that for many people, the road is the only way to get from the University's campus to northern Chapel Hill.

"It's dangerous," said David Bonk, principal transportation planner for Chapel Hill Transit. "I think that's one of the main reasons the (Town Council) asked us to look at it."

In fall 2003, the town received a grant to conduct a study to look at safety barriers along the road and suggest solutions.

In addition, the study was aimed at identifying ways to promote bicycling and walking - popular ways for many students to get to and from campus.

"The student population at the University is one of the subgroups that would be most affected by this (report)," Bonk said.

Among the specific areas the study examines is the end of the Bolin Creek Trail. Claire Millar, a member of the town's Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Board, said the area was important to address because of the large number of people who use the trail.

"I ride a bike, and I hardly ever ride near Airport Road because it's such a mess," Millar said. Improving access to the trail would make the trail safer and increase the number of people who use it, she added.

The report suggested creating a larger trail network to provide options for bicyclists who are uncomfortable riding on the road with vehicles.

"We'd like to have pedestrian and bicycle access on both sides, but not force anyone to actually cross the road," said Bill Webster, assistant director of parks and recreation for the town.

Bikers must be "savvy" to navigate the road, the report states. There are bike lanes near Homestead Road, but riders are forced to merge with traffic when the lanes abruptly end at Estes Drive.

The board also is looking at ways to improve pedestrian access. Kate Millard, another member of the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Board, said missing sidewalks are a first priority in the master plan. If gaps in sidewalks are closed and signal heads are provided on all sides of an intersection, the report states, pedestrians will feel safer crossing the road.

Other suggestions include lowering the speed of vehicles through law enforcement and signs, narrowing lanes and putting medians in the road to give pedestrians a refuge as they cross the street.

Different boards will review the study and make recommendations in the coming weeks. A public forum will be held Nov. 22 to give the public a chance to voice its opinions.

However, many say, changes will not happen overnight.

"We're looking at years," Millar said.

"The town needs time to organize plans and figure out where the money to make the changes will come from."

Contact the City Editor

at citydesk@unc.edu.