Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Speaker sets sights on having a spiritual focus

A roomful of more than 100 inquiring minds gathered Wednesday night to hear Ken Felder's perspective about how people can incite change in their lives.

During his speech, "Einstein, Bill Gates, and the Buddha," Felder used examples from his own life to carefully dismiss the notion that it takes a special kind of person to reach an understanding of life.

With a relaxed, witty tone, he engaged audience members, who readily interacted with him by answering and asking involving questions.

Felder is a facilitator for the Self Knowledge Symposium, which hosted the speech. The group encourages students to ask questions that lead to a better understanding of life, and Felder is a powerful resource, said many audience members.

"Ken is very logical, not far out or spacey," said Alex Danilowicz, press relations and events coordinator of SKS. "This is the kind of stuff we all think about; Kenny just maps it out."

Felder, who graduated from UNC in 1988 with degrees in physics and English, sold his company, One Tree Software, to Microsoft and now teaches mathematics.

He said spirituality has many different definitions, one of them being an attempt to avoid disappointment. Because it can help people avoid disappointment, he added, people should not focus entirely on "the small questions" or on science to provide guidance in their lives.

"Science doesn't answer the questions we need answered," Felder said. "Not that I don't like science, but it isn't enough."

"... (You need to ask) 'Why do I believe the things that I believe?' You need to take a step back and look at where those beliefs come from.

"The world is going to tell you to be religious, but not very," he said, adding that the world pressures youth to stay focused on worldly, and not spiritual, matters.

Felder speaks mainly to college students. He said he does not endorse any one spiritual group in his lectures.

Acknowledging that it is harder to change one's entire life as an adult, he said he believes stepping back and asking "Why?" now can prevent disappointment in the future.

"What it comes down to, to me, is deciding what's worth doing with your life," Felder said. "If you make those decisions based on careful and conscious consideration, you're more likely to end up where you want to go."

The SKS meets every Wednesday night and has more lectures scheduled. More information can be found at http://www.selfknowledge.org.