Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Thriller dodges tired genre form

Tension fuels convoluted 'Forgotten'

Most people, when they've lost their car keys, naturally blame aliens.

Or at least that's what screenwriter Gerald DiPego would have you believe with his new movie, "The Forgotten."

Yes, if you're looking for a film that's sure to keep you guessing all the way to its baffling conclusion, then don't forget to check this one out.

First off, the idea for this movie spawned from a dream DiPego had. Let's hope that most of us aren't awakened at night by crazy thoughts like these.

Unlike most movies out right now, "The Forgotten" is a daunting psychological thriller that takes a turn away from the ordinary.

The story line centers on Brooklyn mother Telly Paretta (Julianne Moore), who is grieving the loss of her 8-year-old son, Sam.

Moore does a commendable job of stepping into the maternal role, capturing its paranoid energy and captivating audiences throughout the movie with her emotional drive.

Telly last sees Sam as she put him on a plane to go to summer camp with a few of his classmates. The plane crashes and leaves no survivors - and still, 14 months later, Telly can't let go of her memories of Sam.

Every day she goes through old photos, home videos and touches all the possessions he kept in his dresser. Maybe this explains why Telly is in therapy ... or does it?

Telly's husband, Jim (Anthony Edwards), reacts differently to the death than she does.

He's not mourning the loss of their son because he doesn't remember ever having one.

In fact, Telly is the only person who seems to think her son ever existed. Everyone seems to believe she is delusional, including her therapist, Dr. Munce (Gary Sinise).

Despite all this, Telly holds on hard to the memory, refusing to believe her son was just a figment of her imagination.

The suspenseful plot is set in motion by a random meeting between Telly and Ash Corell (Dominic West), who was the father of one of the other children on the plane.

The former hockey-superstar-turned-alcoholic begins to remember his daughter after some help from Telly. Corell also serves as the film's comedic relief without being too over-the-top with his lines.

The two set out to find out what happened to their supposedly nonexistent children, and as the newly minted duo search for the truth, it leads them into run-ins with national security agents and a world of government cover-ups.

Regardless of the emotional state of these two, they still manage to outsmart government agents at every turn and continue connecting the dots in their little mystery.

Of note are the movie's special effects, that, while not the focus of the film, still add to the heightened sci-fi thrillerness of it all. There were, in fact, several parts of the film that will undoubtedly leave audiences squirming in their seats.

"The Forgotten" starts out strong and takes a sharp turn with some creepy moments in the middle. The twist might even given you goose bumps and make you think twice about conspiracy theories.

All in all, the movie is a thought-provoking ride into the life of a distraught woman who proves that a little audacity has its pay-offs.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.