Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

ACT reviews transportation

Several ongoing construction projects slated to improve campus transportation are posing problems for both drivers and pedestrians.

The Advisory Committee on Transportation met Wednesday to discuss the challenges that students and faculty face in navigating around construction areas.

Derek Poarch, University police chief and chairman of the committee, said the biggest transportation issue during the next two years will be on-campus parking.

"Hopefully we'll turn the corner and see some improvement once we start completing (parking) decks that are under construction," he said.

This month's meeting began by highlighting the many current and upcoming campus construction projects, including the Ramshead Center on South Campus, a steam tunnel on Manning Drive and pedestrian bridges atop South Road.

Members also noted off-campus projects, including the Chatham County Park and Ride Lot located off of 15-501 South, that will affect campus parking and transit. The lot is slated for completion in August of 2005.

The committee addressed student concerns, brought up by Jennifer Carter, a representative of the Graduate-Professional Student Federation, that the buses are too full at crucial times.

After the meeting, Carter also expressed worry about how 75 percent of new parking spaces will be allocated to faculty members. She said this leaves too few spaces for both undergraduate and graduate students.

Committee members are looking for ways to make the Zipcar service, an on-campus car rental program, available for students under 21.

Officials stressed the need to get the word out about the Zipcar program, which has become increasingly popular, as academic departments now have access to the service.

"We are going to work with Zipcar and the University to do everything we can to get this service for interested students," Poarch said.

Kurt Neufang, assistant director of Chapel Hill Transit, said during the meeting that the group will listen to student concerns and will try to mitigate any problems.

Neufang explained four changes to bus routes that have been implemented this semester. The "S," "JFX," "V" and "FG" underwent changes in August.

He also passed out a "Mobility Report Card," evaluating UNC's transportation developments.

Bicycle activity was the only area of transportation that saw a decrease in popularity since 2001, and committee members said this could be attributed to increased construction and the free bus transportation system.

The group also noted the success of a deal with Triangle Transit Authority that allows students and faculty to purchase monthly passes at the discounted rate of $10.

Committee members will meet again Nov. 17 and continue to discuss problems and potential solutions to transportation on campus.

CONTACT THE UNIVERSITY EDITOR AT UDESK@UNC.EDU.