Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Ball named chief for EMS

Orange County Emergency Management Services announced Thursday that Jack Ball will fill the department's director position, which has been vacant for the last six months.

Ball steps into the shoes of Nick Waters, who passed away in April after a brief battle with cancer.

Waters was known for his talent in the emergency services field and for the work he did for Orange County, which included pioneering an emergency medical dispatch program and implementing a paramedic system.

He had been with Orange County EMS for 15 years.

Although Ball said he realizes he is following a local legend, he said he is going to be his own man.

"It feels like Truman stepping into Roosevelt's shoes," Ball said. "I'm not going down there to try and be a Nick Waters."

Ball comes to the position with more than 30 years of public safety experience, including the last seven years as director of public safety for Amherst County, Va., according to a press release announcing Ball's hiring.

He said he is familiar with the area from years of visiting family in Durham.

Ball was hired after a selection panel recommended him to Orange County Manager John Link.

Orange County Commissioner Barry Jacobs, who was on the selection panel, said Ball was chosen for his experience, which includes starting two new management systems from scratch.

"He is a good combination of a trained professional and a self-made man," Jacobs said.

Jacobs added that Ball works well in a team, which is key to managing different emergency groups.

Ball said his primary goal is to improve radio communication among the police, fire and EMS units in both Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

The project requires that each department have radios that work on the same frequency. Communication among different departments and cities is crucial during emergencies, Ball said.

Jacobs said that with Ball's expertise, the county soon will be able to address that issue.

Ball said he expects new goals to emerge once he gets his feet wet.

"Jack has demonstrated a breadth of experience and leadership in emergency management that will be key to providing quality emergency services to our citizens now and in the future," Link said in a press release.

Ball will begin his duties Nov. 29. As director, his responsibilities will include overseeing the county's emergency services and directing countywide response and recovery in times of disaster.

Emergency services include 911 emergency communications, emergency medical services and the fire marshal's office.