Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

BOG hopes legislature will fix growth funding

Year after year, the UNC system's governing body has waited anxiously for the N.C. General Assembly to approve funding for new students, and every time the legislature has come through.

But over the years, the legislature has yet to come through on a request by the Board of Governors to make enrollment funding a permanent part of the state's budget.

This year, board members think they have a shot, but the Senate and House remain divided on the issue.

While nothing has officially been proposed to lawmakers, Jim Phillips, chairman of the board's Budget and Finance Committee, said during a meeting last week that he'd like to include enrollment growth in the state's continuation budget, which is reappropriated yearly.

"The legislature has been footing the bill for enrollment growth, so it's not like this is new money," said Edward Broadwell, secretary of the Budget and Finance Committee. "They have come through and come through and come through year after year after year."

Members of the N.C. Senate seem to be in line with the idea. Supporters say including growth in the continuation budget would eliminate the yearly hassle of approving it.

It also would prevent the board from having to fund growth through systemwide tuition increases. This year, the legislature alotted $64 million to fully fund enrollment growth, but in past years, the BOG has had to resort to tuition hikes.

"There'd be no reason, from my perspective, for us every year to have to debate the issue of funding growth," said Sen. Vernon Malone, D-Wake. "Obviously, as the system grows, we're going to continuously find ourselves ... having to fund that growth."

But a budget that includes non-negotiable enrollment growth funding will meet contention in the House, where representatives have said it would leave other state organizations underfunded.

"The UNC system can control the number of students that are in the system. It can increase tuition; it can decrease admission; it can take other steps," said Sabra Faires, chief of staff to House Co-speaker Richard Morgan, R-Moore.

Faires, as well as some members of the General Assembly, said community colleges would have to be included in the measure as well, meaning more of the budget would be set aside yearly for education.

"It won't be negotiated or discussed," said Rep. Joe Tolson, D-Edgecombe. "... When revenue is short, you've got to find one way to balance the budget, and (cutting funds for enrollment growth) might be one way you could do it."

While most representatives say they would continue to support enrollment growth, some worry that the system has claimed too big a slice of the budget for itself.

"I support the university, I support the community colleges, but we only gave K-12 a 0.32 percent increase in their budget this year," said Rep. Jean Preston, R-Carteret. "I've got a low-wealth county in my district, and they've got to meet in schools that have been flooded out from the hurricane."

Preston said the BOG's request is excessive, especially in light of talks about requesting a $4 billion construction bond to complement a $3.1 billion bond passed in 2001.

"How can you be so selfish to ask for that kind of money at the university level when we've got flooded out (public) schools with mold and everything else?"

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.