Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

CAA officials' work helped to make Late Night possible

I am writing with regard to the recent article reporting William Keith's resignation, wherein reference was made to the Carolina Athletic Association's involvement in "Late Night With Roy Williams." The article gave the impression that CAA was limited to the distribution of the glowing necklaces at the event.

However, while many members of cabinet were only involved in a support role, the exciting kick-off to the men's basketball season would not have been possible without the efforts of the CAA Sports Marketing Committee, led by Director of Marketing Bonnie Clarke and Sports Marketing Chairwoman Michele Carpenter.

It was only through months of preparation and hours of hard work by this committee that the celebration was able to be such a success. Preparation for the night began early last summer, as the two chairwomen and their 16-member committee coordinated their efforts with Kris McGrath in the basketball office, and the committee's tireless efforts were not complete until the Smith Center lights were turned out early Saturday morning following the fun.

Without Bonnie, Michele and the Sports Marketing Committee, Late Night would not have been possible. I wanted to ensure that they received the credit, praise and thanks they deserved. I'm extremely proud of all they've accomplished so far this year and thankful for the opportunity I have to work with them.

Lindsay Strunk
President
Carolina Athletic Association