Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Chatham development talks continue

A major construction development between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro was on the minds of many Chatham County residents at a public hearing Tuesday night.

The development under discussion, known as Briar Chapel, has been the subject of much debate among the area's residents, and Tuesday's hearing was the third on the development.

The proposed development would be a mixed-use community on 1,589 acres, providing as many as 2,389 homes.

The meeting, held at the superior courtroom in Pittsboro, was a continuation of two previous hearings. Supporters and critics alike expressed their views to the panel, which consisted of members of the Chatham County Planning Board, Chatham County Commissioners and representatives of the project's developer, Newland Communities.

The planning board now will conduct several meetings and make a recommendation to the commissioners. They will then decide whether to approve the construction of Briar Chapel.

Many fear the ensuing traffic problems that Briar Chapel could bring. Some have said the development will cause a 275 percent increase along U.S. 15-501.

"Development is occurring in an area that has low transportation alternatives," said Patrick McDonough, transit service planner for Triangle Transit Authority.

But traffic was only one of several issues discussed at the meeting. Environmental concerns, issues with the public school systems and economic issues were also on the minds of many residents.

Overall, constituents in Chatham County oppose the development, fearing problems such as traffic and water pollution, said Carl Outz, vice chairman of the Chatham County Commissioners.

But he went on to say that when a developer meets all the requirements, one cannot take away the developer's property rights.

Peter Theye, a county resident, said he is worried about the quick pace of development in Chatham County.

Voicing his concerns, he appealed to the panel Tuesday night. "I beg that you understand the breadth of your decisions," he said.

But many proponents of Briar Chapel, some showing their support by wearing "Yes BC" stickers, see Briar Chapel as an economic asset to the county.

Bob Esau, owner of Friendly Ford in Chatham County, discussed the financial problems Chatham County currently faces.

"No business will come to Chatham without a profit in mind," Esau said. "Newland Communities isn't going to fix all Chatham's problems, but it is definitely a good start."

Chapel Hill Town Council member Cam Hill sees the economic issues surrounding Briar Chapel in a different light.

"It's been proven that growth does not finance itself," he said.

Hill said he felt Chatham County was being irresponsible and could face serious financial problems because of Briar Chapel.

If approved, the effects of Briar Chapel might spill over to Orange County residents, with added traffic on U.S. 15-501.

"The line between Chatham and Orange County is arbitrary when it comes to traffic," McDonough said.

He said that the county line needs to be erased and that the two entities should open a dialogue because factors affecting one county almost always affect the other.

"In spite of all of our best efforts to control growth, it will have a bigger effect on Chapel Hill than anything within the city limits," Hill said.