Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

DEDC seeks business input

The Chapel Hill Downtown Economic Development Corporation is asking for local input about what can be done to help businesses downtown.

Nick Didow, interim executive director of the corporation, distributed an e-mail asking downtown stakeholders for ways that area business can be improved.

He specifically asked for input about what regulations or ordinances were needed and which regulations needed to be abolished in order to ensure a vital downtown.

The corporation consistently has asked for input from the business community since the group was created earlier this year. But several downtown businesses said they have not heard from the corporation.

"Nobody's ever contacted us," said Tony Coudriet, one of the managers and co-owners of Jersey Mikes, located at 107 N. Columbia St.

But Coudriet said he just joined the business in April. "We haven't been here that long," he said.

Shelton Henderson, owner of the Shrunken Head Boutique, located at 155 E. Franklin St., said he hadn't even heard of the corporation.

The Carolina Coffee Shop had not been contacted either, said Matt Hodler, a manager at the shop.

But there are things local businesses would like any group to improve. "I think that taxis are too expensive," Hodler said. "If we don't want downtown to die, we need to pull more than just students."

Henderson said he didn't want any ordinances forcing him to change his storefront. "I'd like to keep it the same," he said. "We've got to have spirit in this city."

Several business members said there also is a need for improved parking conditions.

"We need to work out a solution for the perceived parking problem," said Charles House, owner of University Florist and the former chairman of the Downtown Commission.

Henderson said he would like to see free parking on weekends.

Coudriet said the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce has been prompt and helpful. But he said his business did have one concern.

"The problem is people using the alley here as a bathroom," he said, adding that it's unsanitary.

Mary Jo Stone, the new head of Downtown Commission, said the corporation is aiming to address business concerns and is working alongside the commission.

"We have a very nice working relationship," Stone said. "This committee is really headed in the right direction."

Stone was one of the recipients of Didow's e-mail.

The corporation was formed after a Chapel Hill Town Council steering committee studied the perceived problems facing downtown and recommended the formation of an oversight entity.

There is equal representation on the corporation among town, University and private interests.

House said the corporation has potential to grow and progress. "It's a question of trying to get everyone to work together."