Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

DeLay slams college campuses for liberalism

House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, criticized administrators and students across the country for what he says is their exclusive promotion of liberal causes on college campuses.

"Liberals enjoy a near stranglehold on American college campuses," he stated in an August fund-raising letter supporting the Leadership Institute.

"They'll stop at nothing to end conservative challenges to their control."

The Leadership Institute is a nonprofit organization that aims to increase the number and efficacy of conservative public policy leaders.

In the letter, DeLay expressed his desire to create as many as 50 campus groups, each costing $6,400.

Members of these groups would amplify the conservative voices on campuses nationwide.

"(Liberals) aggressively promote their failed socialist economic policies, work to undermine traditional moral values and mask their 'blame America first' agenda with 'politically correct' multiculturalism," DeLay wrote.

Katie Perry, senior vice provost of N.C. State University, said N.C. State would have difficulty maintaining a political bias.

"I absolutely feel that there is not a political agenda on our college campus," she said.

"I have seen articles claiming that most university professors vote a certain way or align with a specific party, but I wonder, how can they claim that?"

The debate over the ideological nature of college campuses is not a unique topic, especially at UNC.

"When I was at Chapel Hill, there was this debate about whether college campuses were breeding grounds for communism and liberalism," said Rep. Melvin Watt, D-N.C.

Jordan Selleck, chairman of UNC College Republicans, said he believes the University, and college campuses in general, tend to lean toward the left.

"One example is to try and find one registered Republican (professor) in the political science department," he said.

While he said these professors are respectful and open to debate, he also said they do not always teach multiple viewpoints on an issue.

"A wise professor gives both sides of an argument, and that kind of plants a seed of interest in the student to research the topic further," Selleck said.

"I'm concerned about the other students here who are a little more hesitant to speak up and do not do their own research and just take the professor's word for a certain type of issue or policy."

In his letter, DeLay cited a number of incidents in which liberal students have attempted to thwart the efforts of conservative groups.

He cited a specific incident of theft at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Va.

In the letter, he claims that "thieves stole conservative literature and the valuable list of eager students who had signed up that day at the (conservative students') membership table."

Thomas Isenhour, provost and vice president for academic affairs at Old Dominion, said he is not aware of such an incident taking place on campus.

"It's certainly not characteristic. First Amendment speech is alive and well on our campus."

DeLay's office and the Leadership Institute did not return phone calls by press time.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.