Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Gov. Mike Easley is not only beating challenger Patrick Ballantine in the polls but also has been able to out-finance his opponent at an incredible rate.

Easley, according to third-quarter campaign finance reports, raised a total of $7.7 million throughout his bid for a second term.

Ballantine raised only $4.2 million during the first three quarters of the race.

The reports also show that Easley has spent $7.3 million to date, while Ballantine has used more than $4 million.

Eric Fletcher, a press secretary in Easley's office, said the governor's re-election campaign has $735,000 left to spend.

"Most of this money goes to media advertising, payrolls, get- out-the-vote operations, bumper stickers and things of that nature," he said.

From the beginning of the race, Easley has held a financial advantage over his opponent.

Ferrel Guillory, director of UNC's Program on Southern Politics, Media and Public Life, said there are several reasons for Easley's financial success.

"The people support his values, his vision and so forth," he said. "Groups also give money, like political action committees, because they want to side with the winner. They contribute to someone who will have the power to accomplish their agenda. Money flows towards the winners."

Guillory also said that it helps to be an incumbent because Easley has a record on which he can run. He also thinks that it helps that the governor is so far ahead in the polls.

In a Mason-Dixon poll taken Oct. 16 to Oct. 19, 55 percent of likely voters back Easley, while 35 percent support Ballantine.

"Easley has been able to finance a full range of commercials, many attacking Ballantine," Guillory said. "Ballantine has not been able to respond with the same intensity."

According to reports, many of the individuals who contributed to Easley's campaign during the third quarter were in the medical field.

Dr. Thomas Pokora, who donated $2,000 to Easley's re-election campaign, is one of them.

"We are in a group that is going for state-licensed - a group in cardiovascular services," said the Summerfield resident. "I felt that he was the strongest candidate."

In a report filed Monday listing individuals and groups who recently donated to Easley's campaign, 34 members of the medical profession donated $1,000 or more.

Meanwhile, a range of professionals and self-employers contributed to Ballantine's campaign, including Herbert Gregory, a tobacco farmer from Oxford.

"I believe in what he stands for," said Gregory, who recently donated $2,000 to Ballantine's bid for governor.

"I don't like how Easley took all the money from the tobacco farmers and spent it on his own projects when it should have gone to the farmers. Tobacco has made this state tick in years past."

He said Easley spent some of the money from the first tobacco buyout on building a train system.

"Ballantine listens much more to farmers' needs," Gregory said. "Once farmers go, this state is well-finished."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.