Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Easley schools ralliers on education record

SMITHFIELD - Gov. Mike Easley continued his re-election bid in this small town Thursday evening, boasting to a packed crowd at the National Guard Armory about the strides the state has made in education under his leadership.

Easley, who looks to beat back a challenge from Republican Patrick Ballantine on Nov. 2, said students in North Carolina now lead the nation in math and that the state's community colleges rank No. 1 in the country.

"By Jove, we started making progress (in education), and we're going to keep it going," Easley said to the packed room.

The governor promised that his campaign would never decrease education spending, even during an economic recession.

"We will not let budget shortfall become education shortfall," Easley said.

The governor also reassured supporters that jobs would not be lost to foreign businesses and that the Democratic Party would take care of the state's senior citizens.

"Every North Carolinian who wants a job will get a job," Easley said. "And we're going to be there for our seniors."

Easley also stopped in Hickory and Albemarle on Thursday. The visits were part of a new wave of re-election rallies meant to pump up North Carolinians and get them excited about voting.

Other high-profile candidates, such as Rep. Bob Etheridge and Betsy McCrodden, a Democratic candidate for the N.C. Supreme Court, also spoke at the rally to tout their campaign platforms.

The candidates made the rounds to each table of potential voters, offering a variety of trinkets - from nail files to pens to hair combs emblazoned with names and campaign slogans - to help persuade voters to consider them on Election Day.

The rally started off in high spirits after Etheridge's speech, which galvanized an already enthusiastic crowd. "The people in this county and in this country is ready for a change," Etheridge said. "We're going to win."

The event, which drew about 500 people, was hailed as a success by organizers, who only expected about 300 people to attend.

Belle Allen, one of the organizers of the rally, said she was pleased with the turnout.

"I would have been happy with 350 people," Allen said. "We had to go out and buy more hot dogs."

Vicky Rains, a resident of Smithfield, said the success of the event was a positive sign for Johnston County.

She also saw the rally as a family event and brought her two children to the hear the candidates speak.

"That's the way it should be," Rains said. "Get the whole family involved."

Betty Robinson, another Smithfield local, attended the rally to show special support for the state's native vice presidential candidate.

"All North Carolinians should turn all the way for John Edwards. (He) is our son," Robinson said. "This will go down in history forever."

Rains was also adamant about supporting the Democratic Party.

"We want the people to go out and vote - and vote Democrat," she said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.