Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Group moves ahead in talks

Diversity panel narrows mission

Passionately raised voices and deep roars of laughter reverberated around a Bynum Hall conference room Wednesday when the executive committee on the Chancellor's Task Force on Diversity met to discuss the future of diversity at UNC.

The committee aimed to establish key research questions it will pose to task force subgroups and to develop core values to steer the challenging tasks it will face in the time ahead.

Archie Ervin, chairman of the task force, said the group now is focused on raising critical questions before obtaining final answers.

"We cannot hope to do anything at this time, but we cannot wait to do anything any longer," he said.

The first question addressed the task force's vision and commitment, asking how the University publicly embraces, celebrates and expresses its commitment to diversity.

The second question targeted UNC's efforts to recruit and retain a diverse faculty, staff and students.

Ervin compared this problem to an 800-pound gorilla. "No one wants to deal with it, but we have to."

The third question dealt with the educational benefits of diversity. The committee asked what opportunities exist at UNC for open communication and learning among people with differing backgrounds.

Sandra Hoeflich, associate dean of interdisciplinary education, fellowships and communication at the Graduate School and a member of the task force, said people on campus should have the right to express their ideas. "We won't be harmed by hearing a stupid idea," she said.

But Charles Daye, a professor in the School of Law, said "stupid" ideas should be challenged.

"In a diverse community, there should be lots of different ideas percolating up," he said. "Yet some of those ideas should be refuted."

The task force also was concerned with UNC's actions to encourage critical thinking, responsible analysis and informed dialogue among members of a diverse community.

Members wanted to know how UNC can assure that its climate is welcoming, inclusive and supportive for all faculty, staff and students.

Once the committee agreed on the five broad research questions, attention shifted to the core values that will direct its campaign.

After a half-hour of debate, the committee decided each core value derives from and pertains to UNC's role as an educational institution.

One core value maintained that UNC has an obligation to serve the community while promoting equality, justice and diversity.

Members of the task force also said UNC should seek to enhance diversity in student admissions and in employment of faculty and staff.

Task force members said UNC must foster cross-cultural interactions and learning in an environment where all feel welcomed.

"We are an educational institution dedicated to education," Daye said. "Diversity enhances what we are dedicated to."