Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Out-of-state voters weigh registration

The youth vote could prove pivotal in Tuesday's presidential election, a fact that caused many out-of-state students at UNC to wonder where their ballots would make the most impact.

And now that the deadline to register in North Carolina has passed, many are evaluating whether they made the right decision.

The student vote could have a strong influence on determining which candidate wins the state's still-up-for-grabs electoral votes, said Amon Anderson, chairman of VoteCarolina, student government's voter initiative.

"You have to keep in mind that the majority of polls reflect likely voters, which means those who voted in the last two elections," he said. "That doesn't include any of the students here. I think people will be surprised by the voice of student voting."

Before the Oct. 8 deadline, out-of-state students were faced with the decision of whether to register in North Carolina or to vote by absentee ballot.

Members of the Young Democrats said several out-of-state students' decisions on where to vote were based on whether their home states were "swing states," or areas in which the race remains close.

"If they were coming from states that were strongly for one candidate or another, then we urged them to change to North Carolina," said sophomore Dustin Ingalls, a YD member. "But if they were coming from states like Ohio or Florida, we told them to do absentee."

Julia Shalen, a junior from California, said it was more important for her to vote in North Carolina because her home state habitually falls into the Democrats' column.

"Every vote here counts," she said. "Besides, I also like to be involved in the local politics where I live."

Anderson also emphasized the importance for out-of-state students to change their registrations so they can vote in state and municipal elections.

Not all out-of-state students have decided to switch their registration. Many said they don't know enough about state politics to make an informed decision.

"Politics are more important to me where I live," said Michelle Ralston, a sophomore from Memphis, Tenn. "Besides, I'm not familiar with North Carolina politics."

But Anderson said VoteCarolina has made efforts to provide students with information about candidates.

"You can't hold someone's hand to the polls. If you recognize the need to vote in local elections, then you can find access to resources."

Out-of-state students were not the only voters confronted with the decision of whether or not to re-register. Many in-state students also changed their registration to Orange County.

"I have a hard time keeping up with what's going on 100 miles away," said junior Seth Dearmin from Pinnacle. "And I think it's important to be involved here."