Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Pataki looks to help Ballantine pull off upset

GREENSBORO - As political heavyweights, A-list actors and musicians swoop into key states to stump for candidates in the final days of election season, North Carolina isn't being left in the rain.

Inside an airplane hangar, under a gloomy sky, the Empire State's Republican Gov. George Pataki spoke to a crowd of about 125 with gubernatorial candidate Sen. Patrick Ballantine and his wife, Lisa.

Standing on a stage with three county sheriffs, with a giant American flag draped behind him, Ballantine rallied his supporters before handing the microphone to Pataki.

"Are y'all ready?" Ballantine shouted to the crowd. "What a great day it is in North Carolina."

Ballantine told the onlookers that more than 400,000 Tar Heel voters have cast ballots through early voting, which he said should bode well for him on Election Day.

"I can feel it," he said. "North Carolinians are ready for new leadership. I need you and you need me."

He said he was honored to share the stage with Pataki, who also served 10 years in state government before being elected governor.

"I have the big gun - George Pataki," Ballantine said. "He has cut more taxes than any other governor in America."

Pataki energized the cheering crowd by telling onlookers that he shares the conservative values of Ballantine and N.C. Republicans, with national security topping the list.

"In New York, 9/11 is something that we live with everyday," Pataki said. "Thank God we had George Bush for president. He won't let another attack happen here."

Pataki offered hope to Ballantine and his supporters, despite polls that show the North Carolina senator trailing Democratic Gov. Mike Easley.

In his first gubernatorial election, Pataki said, the polls had him down by 17 percentage points three days before the election.

"On Election Day, I won by four points," he said. "If you elect Patrick Ballantine, North Carolina will go up like a rocket. You are going to get a conservative."

Pataki's jet barely had enough time to cool off before he concluded his remarks and worked the crowd, which was clad in "Bush 04," "BBB" and "Ballantine For Governor" gear.

As Ballantine worked the crowd, he said he will spend the last four days of his campaign in eastern North Carolina, where Easley has a stronghold.

He said that there are counties in the state in which Easley hasn't campaigned and that voters are aware of Easley's absence.

"Those people take notice," Ballantine said. "There is no substitution for showing up."

Many of Ballantine's supporters cherished the opportunity to see Pataki and Ballantine together.

Bill Holub of Greensboro, a former classmate of Ballantine's, compared his campaign to the Boston Red Sox.

"Boston came back from an 0-3 deficit to beat the New York Yankees," he said. "The team that had the most money didn't win. That is what's going to happen on Tuesday."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.