Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Posthumous Smith LP unearths new stylings

By sheer coincidence, this review was written on Oct. 21, 2004. On this day one year ago, Elliott Smith stabbed himself in the heart. He was 34 years old.

And now the kind folks at Anti- Records have been kind enough to grace us with From a Basement on the Hill. Smith had been working on the album for the last two years before his death. Thankfully, it is given a respectful and proper treatment, despite arguments on the faithfulness of the new production.

This album marked the split between Smith and his longtime producer, Rob Schnapf. Taking this opportunity to expand his sonic reach, Smith incorporates a much wider spectrum of instruments, sounds and production techniques than seen on his previous records. Just listen to the short interlude "Ostriches & Chirping."

But fear not: Everything you loved still remains. His voice slides into your ears like gray honey, a sound so sweet yet simultaneously so ultimately depressing. Basement retains the unmistakable feel that has always been a trademark of Smith's work. Melodic, accessible folk with a penchant for '60s pop, Smith's sound is as on the mark as it ever was.

While his music always has had something of a dark and melancholy feel to it, this is only amplified by the fact that it is a posthumous release.

From a Basement on the Hill will be regarded as an album that plays like a suicide note from beyond: similar, in theme but not music, to Joy Division's Closer.

Oddly enough, despite the morbid connections between the lyrics and Smith's untimely demise, it's an easily enjoyable album. This is particularly shown on the foreboding "A Fond Farewell," which in essence telegraphs his death: "A little less than a happy hive/A little less than a suicide." Even so, the song is enjoyable enough for a happy singalong.

All the songs on the album are remarkably strong, from the soft, upbeat pop-folk of "Let's Get Lost" to the twanging alt-country rhythms of "A Fond Farewell" to the bouncy, Kinks-esque "Memory Lane."

This is a fine album to end the career of one of the great modern singer/songwriters. It will be dissected for years to come for some hint of why it all had to end this way.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.