Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Ralliers march for peace, awareness

Gather to combat domestic violence

A group of ralliers waving signs and chanting mantras gathered Tuesday in front of the Franklin Street post office in an effort to raise awareness about domestic violence.

About 65 people attended the March for Family Peace, one of the many local events scheduled to coincide with the end of Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Melissa Radcliffe, community services coordinator of the Family Violence Prevention Center, planned the event, now in its fourth year.

"We want to give people in the community a chance to vocally show their support for domestic violence victims and domestic violence services," she said.

Amy Holloway, the center's executive director, introduced the event to the group. "As we do every year this time, we are gathered here to march for peace," she said.

Once assembled, supporters began marching down Franklin Street toward Spanky's at the corner of Franklin and Columbia streets.

"Domestic violence, stop the silence," the crowd chanted.

After the march made its way down Rosemary Street and finished back at the post office, the group gathered to hear various speakers share their personal stories.

Chelea Cummings recited a poem outlining her experience with domestic violence. "There are no stipulations to who domestic violence might affect," she said.

Two additional speakers preferred to be recognized only by their first names.

Patricia spoke of her experience entirely in Spanish, and Kay told her story in English.

Kay used the head of a mannequin to help demonstrate her freedom from an abusive husband.

Radcliffe said this year's event was better, in many ways, than in previous years. "The weather alone was an improvement," she said.

The turnout was also up from last year.

Radcliffe said the event has been gaining popularity with each passing year. Service groups have contacted her ahead of time asking how they can help, she added.

"We want to send the message that we're out there and we won't go away," Radcliffe said. "This, for us, is one way to let people know."

Others in attendance agreed.

"It's nice to see people come out and acknowledge the problem," said Chapel Hill resident Bob Pleasants. But it's still hard to see such problems exist, he added.

Chapel Hill police officer Phil Smith said yesterday marked his first time attending the event. He added that he was there to direct traffic and ensure marchers' safety.

Although the event was an improvement from previous years, most said there is still much to do to combat domestic violence.

"This event won't just end domestic violence," Radcliffe said. "It has to be a community response."

Added Holloway, "We hope to see a time where we will no longer need to march."